We all go through times where motivation is low, and in fact, where motivation is positively starving! So, I’ve devised 5 Ways to Get Motivated When you Don’t Feel Like it.
I know that I have times like this and the one thing that gets me back on track is my big “Why”.
Most people, especially women, are not motivated by money alone. What motivates human beings is all the great stuff that we can do with that money. The money is merely the vehicle that drives us to our Paradise Island.
What vacations we would go on? What great schools or universities we would send our kids to? What lovely dream house we could have? What charity or cause we could fund? And then there’s spa days and restaurants of our choice. The list goes on.
So, if you are feeling motivated, you need to have a way to remind yourself WHY you are doing this all in the first place.
These things drive you because of the reward that you will get when you have done what you need to do. This is called Extrinsic Motivation.
And then we need Intrinsic Motivation: This means a person does things simply because of interest or enjoyment. The act of doing the behavior is itself the reward. So, being motivated has a lot to do with loving what we do because enjoying the doing is reward in itself.
With this in mind, I’ve devised a simple action plan on getting motivated or re-motivated or even adding more juice to the motivation you have if you feel it might be on the way to lagging a bit.
5 Ways to get motivated when you don’t feel like it:
1: Make a list with the title “WHY?” at the top of it. And write down all the reasons why you want to be successful and to make money. It’s usually a lot about other people as well as ourselves.
2. Write down these separate items on index cards. And flip through these every day or when you have time in the train or waiting for something . Or even get into the habit of reading them every morning.
3. Do a Creative Visualization of how you want your life to be if your “why’s” were fulfilled. What would your days be like? Who would you be spending time with? Where would you be? What would you and your family be doing if you were the success you want to be and made the money you want to. I call this visualizing your Dream Day.
4. Get clear on what you do in a day and whether you love it. Soul search and figure out if what you are generally doing is feeding your soul and if you are doing the work that fulfills you. Think about ways of shifting direction or tweaking so you are wholeheartedly into your business or career. If you are happy that your business is really your calling, go through each task and put it in three columns entitled:
1. Love 2. Don’t love 3. Neutral
Then place all of the tasks you do on a regular basis in one of these columns. The things in the Love column can be celebrated and of course, continue doing them. The things in Don’t Love, try and get help with or delegate to someone who loves that kind of thing. And for the Neutral ones, decide if you can continue doing them and staying passionate and motivated. If not, delegate those as well.
5. Stop to smell the roses. Nothing can demotivate like never taking a break. Apart from enjoying our work (which I hope you do), we work to make money so we can enjoy moments and days of our lives when we aren’t working. Section off times that you can look forward to when the job is done. So, schedule a glass of wine after you finish work, or a spa day at the end of the week, or just a walk in the country. And plan for that in your mind when the work is done so you are celebrating your successes.
And of course, the golden rule with doing anything is to START in the first place!
That’s all. Please try this out and let me know what you get out of it. And if you have any other tips to get motivated when you just don’t feel like it, please share in the comments.
With much Love and to your Success,